My skincare routine 2017

23:39:00










Skincare  skincare skincare! One word so strong yet so underrated by the most of us. If you're like me, you enjoy watching the occasional 'My Skincare Routine' video from your favourite beauty youtuber and think about how you would one day like to have such flawless skin. Does it ever happen though? No. We all want perfect skin but do little to get there. In fact, I shouldn't even be talking because I do exactly the same. I read numerous articles such as: 'Clear your skin in 5 days' or 'Minimise your pores instantly' and while they do fill me with temporary zest, I hate to say that it doesn't last all that long. Also, I hate seeing skincare routines that have numerous, seemingly useless products such as toners, serums or the like (okay, they might not be that useless but I still don't see the point). I guess all of this makes it very hypocritical that I'm doing a 'skincare routine' post but I decided to jump on the bandwagon and give it a go. I tried using the same skincare routine for 3 months (yes! 3 months) and surprise! it worked. I am, by no means, a dermatologist or even someone who has lots of knowledge to spare when it comes to taking care of your skin but in the past 3 months or so, I have learned a few tricks of the trade; ones that I'm here to share. 
Step 1- Remove the cakeface

Probably the most important step of all…and also the most obvious. If you don’t remove your makeup, you might as well forget carrying on with everything else. You don’t need to be an expert to know that makeup, especially foundations or concealers, block your pores which means that all that dirt and oil is stuck under your skin. Not removing your makeup properly is a big catalyst to getting acne and blackheads. I really like using the L’oreal Paris Micellar Water which is not only gentle on the skin but also does a great job at removing makeup. You can get yours’ here.


Step 2: Cleanse

When you cleanse your face with a face wash or the like, you need to make sure that it’s gentle on your skin. A rule I like to follow is that if I can’t pronounce the name, I’m not putting it on my face. I won’t lie, it’s a tedious job. Scanning over every ingredient at the back of every cleanser/face wash is a boring but it really helps your skin in the long run. Using harsh chemicals on your face can either dry it out or give you a bad rash or both. This step is important because it takes away any excess makeup and is also helpful in the next step. A few cleansers I really like at the moment are the oil free acne stress control power cream wash from Neutrogena  and a really gentle, clinically proven one from Murad.

Step 3: Exfoliate

This is my favourite step because there’s something so satisfying about exfoliating your skin and knowing you’re removing dead skin cells. Sounds weird now that I think of it but it’s true. Think of exfoliating as polishing your skin, in the most gentle way possible. This is why you have to make sure that any way you decide to exfoliate your face must be gentle otherwise you could do some serious harm. I usually just squeeze a bit of my cleanser onto my sonic brush and exfoliate with it for 1 minute. I would recommend using a sonic brush if you have acne because although it might aggravate the pimples at first, it does make a big difference in the long run. I use the sonic brush from L’oreal for this step. 

Step 4: Apply a mask

I don’t do this everyday, mostly because I don’t have the time and also because putting on masks daily doesn’t seem like a good idea. I don’t know, someone please educate me. Truth be told, my sensitive skin has never found masks very pleasing but I occasionally like to relax with one. Korea is the leading country when it comes to making masks and I love the creativity of the Koreans who design them! I mean, tiger masks, panda masks, etc all make this step so much more easier (especially if you’re impatient like me). You should always choose masks based on your skin type and not ones that ‘look good’. For example: I generally tend to avoid any mask that is infused with oil or extra hydration since my skin is oily enough as it is. One face mask I’ve been loving so far is the Skin Oil Balancing Anti Pollution mask with charcoal that really helps strip your face from all the dirt and pollution of the day. Get your’s here for a very reasonable price. 

Step 5: Moisturise 

This step also includes moisturising your under eyes because they can get dry too. At first, I use to avoid applying face cream because I thought it would make my skin more oily. However, I soon learnt that the truth couldn’t be further from that. When you don’t moisturise your face enough, your skin produces excess oil in order to combat the dryness, this eventually leads to acne and a myriad of other problems. I don’t have a specific night cream (or day cream for that matter) and usually just use the same one twice even though I’m sure that’s not what you should be doing. Currently, I’m using the Murad Blemish Control Skin Perfecting Lotion which is really light on the skin and doesn’t break me out!



So there you go, my ‘Skincare Routine’ post is done- one that I thought I would never do. To be honest, my skin is far from perfect and I don’t even know why I spent days writing this out but we need more diversity. Everyone can’t be smooth skinned creatures who apply anti- aging or anti-acne cream when they don’t even need it and make their followers believe they too can achieve that. People have different skin types, you can either complain about yours or accept it and try to improve. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Have a look at Everyuth Naturals Face Pack For Skin to get healthier, problem-free, glowing skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a daily moisturizer that contains ingredients such as vitamin E, butter or any subsidiary natural moisturizing element will save your skin from feeling the effects of winter. Skin care tips for winters

    ReplyDelete